2017 - FEBRUARY FIRST WEEK CURRENT AFFAIRS
1. Union Budget 2017
The 2017 Union Budget, presented by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on 01st February 2017, was broadly focused on 10 issues farming sector, rural population, youth, poor and health care for the underprivileged, infrastructure, financial sector for stronger institutions, speedy accountability, public services, prudent fiscal management and tax administration for the honest.
Following are the highlights of his speech on various issues:
1. Demonetisation is expected to have a transient impact on the economy.
2. It will have a great impact on the economy and lives of people .
3. Demonetisation is a bold and decisive measure that will lead to higher GDP growth.
4. The effects of demonetisation will not spillover to the next fiscal.
1. Sowing farmers should feel secure against natural calamities.
2. A sum of Rs. 10 lakh crore is allocated as credit to farmers, with 60 days interest waiver.
3. NABARD fund will be increased to Rs. 40,000 crore.
4. Government will set up mini labs in Krishi Vigyan Kendras for soil testing.
5. A dedicated micro irrigation fund will be set up for NABARD with Rs 5,000 crore initial corpus.
6. Irrigation corpus increased from Rs 20,000 crore to Rs 40,000 crore.
7. Dairy processing infrastructure fund wlll be initially created with a corpus of Rs. 2000 crore.
8. Issuance of soil cards has gained momentum.
9. A model law on contract farming will be prepared and shared with the States.
1. The government targets to bring 1 crore households out of poverty by 2019.
2. During 2017-18, five lakh farm ponds will be be taken up under the MGNREGA.
3. Over Rs 3 lakh crore will be spent for rural India. MGNREGA to double farmers' income.
4. Will take steps to ensure participation of women in MGNREGA up to 55%.
5. Space technology will be used in a big way to ensure MGNREGA works.
6. The government proposes to complete 1 crore houses for those without homes.
7. Will allocate Rs. 19,000 crore for Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana in 2017-18.
8. The country well on way to achieve 100% rural electrification by March 2018.
9. Swachh Bharat mission has made tremendous progress; sanitation coverage has gone up from 42% in Oct 13 to 60% now.
1. Will introduce a system of measuring annual learning outcomes and come out with an innovation fund for secondary education.
2. Focus will be on 3,479 educationally-backward blocks.
3. Colleges will be identified based on accreditation.
4. Skill India mission was launched to maximise potential. Will set up 100 India International centres across the country.
5. Courses on foreign languages will be introduced.
6. Will take steps to create 5000 PG seats per annum.
For the poor and health care
1. Rs. 500 crore allocated for Mahila Shakthi Kendras.
2. Under a nationwide scheme for pregnant women, Rs. 6000 will be transferred to each person.
3. A sum of Rs. 1,84,632 crore allocated for women and children.
4. Affordable housing will be given infrastructure status.
5. Owing to surplus liquidity, banks have started reducing lending rates for housing.
6. Elimination of tuberculosis by 2025 targeted.
7. Health sub centres, numbering 1.5 lakh, willl be transformed into health wellness centres.
8. Two AIIMS will be set up in Jharkhand and Gujarat.
9. Will undertake structural transformation of the regulator framework for medical education.
10. Allocation for Scheduled Castes is Rs. 52,393 crore
11. Aadhaar-based smartcards will be issued to senior citizens to monitor health.
1. A total allocation of Rs. 39,61,354 crore has been made.
2. Total allocation for Railways is Rs. 1,31,000 crore.
3. No service charge on tickets booked through IRCTC.
4. Raksha coach with a corpus of Rs. 1 lakh crore for five years (for passenger safety).
5. Unmanned level crossings will be eliminated by 2020.
6. 3,500 km of railway lines to be commissioned this year up from 2,800 km last year.
7. SMS-based ''clean my coach service'' is put in place.
8. Coach mitra facility will be introduced to register all coach related complaints.
9. By 2019 all trains will have bio-toilets.
10. Five-hundred stations will be made differently-abled friendly.
11. Railways to partner with logistics players for front-end and back-end solutions for select commodities.
12. Railways will offer competitive ticket booking facility
13. Rs. 64,000 crore allocated for highways.
14. High speed Internet to be allocated to 1,50,000 gram panchayats
15. New Metro rail policy will be announced with new modes of financing
1. A strategic policy for crude reserves will be set up
2. Rs. 1.26,000 cr for energy production-based investments received
3. Trade infra export scheme will be launched 2017-18.
1. FDI policy reforms - more than 90% of FDI inflows are now automated.
2. Shares of Railway PSE like IRCTC would be listed on stock exchanges.
3. Bill on resolution of financial firms to be introduced in this session of parliament.
4. Decided to abolish FIPB in 2017-18.
5. Foreign Investment Promotion Board to be abolished.
6. Revised mechanism to ensure time bound listing of CPSEs
7. Computer emergency response team for financial sector to be formed.
8. Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana lending target at Rs 2.44 lakh crore for 2017-18
9. Digital India - Bhim app will unleash mobile phone revolution - two new schemes to promote the app.
10. Govt to introduce two new schemes to promote BHIM App - referral bonus for users and cash back for traders: FM.
11. Negotiable Instruments Act might be amended.
12. DBT to LPG consumers , Chandigarh is kerosene free, 84 govt schemes are on the DBT platform.
13. Head post office as the central office for rendering passport services
14. Easy online booking system for Army, defence personnel
15. For big-time offences - including economic offenders fleeing India, the govt. will introduce a legislative change or new law to confiscate the assets of these people within the country.
1. Total expenditure - Rs. 21, 47,000 crore
2. Abolition on plan, non-plan expenditure, focus on capital expenditure ( Capital expenditure will be 25.4 per cent)
3. Rs. 3,000 crore under Dept of Economic Affairs for implementing Budget announcements.
4. Defence expenditure, excluding pension, at Rs 2,74,114 crore
5. Expenditure in science and technology — Rs. 37,435 crore
6. Total resources transferred to States and UTs is Rs 4.11 lakh crore
7. Recommended 3% fiscal deficit for three years with deviation of 0.5% of GDP.
8. Revenue deficit - 1.9 %
9. Pegged fiscal deficit of 2017-18 at 3.2% of GDP and remain committed to achieving 3% in the next year.
On funding of political parties
1. Maximum amount of cash donation for political parties will be Rs 2,000 from any one source from Rs 20,000
2. Political parties will be entitled to receive donations by cheque or digital mode from donors.
3. Amendment is being proposed to RBI Act to enable issuance of electoral bonds that government will scheme. Donor can 4. purchase these bonds from banks or post office via cheque or digital transactions. They can be redeemed only by registered political parties.
1. Proportion of direct tax to indirect tax is not optimal.
2. 1.95 crore individuals showed income between Rs 2.5 lakh to Rs 5 lakh.
3. Out of 76 lakh individual assessees declaring income more than Rs 5 lakh, 56 lakh are salaried.
4. Only 1.72 lakh people showed income of more than Rs 50 lakh a year.
5. Between Nov 8 to Dec 30: Deposits between Rs 2 lakh and Rs 80 lakh was made in 1.09 crore accounts.
6. Net tax revenue of 2013-14 was Rs 11.38 lakh crore.
7. Out of 76 lakh individual assessees declaring income more than Rs 5 lakh, 56 lakh are salaried.
8. 1.95 crore individuals showed income between Rs 2.5 lakh to Rs 5 lakh.
9. Rate of growth of advance tax in Personal I-T is 34.8% in last three quarters of this financial year.
10. Holding period for long term capital gain lowered to 2 years
11. Propose to have carry-forward of MAT for 15 years.
12. Capital gains tax to be exempted for persons holding land from which land was pooled for creation of state capital of Telangana.
13. Corporate tax: In order to make MSME companies more viable, propose to reduce tax for small companies of turnover of up to 16. Rs 50 crore to 25%. About 67 lakh companies fall in this category. 96% of companies to get this benefit.
14. Propose to reduce basic customs duty for LNG to 2.5% from 5%
15. SIT on black money suggested no cash transactions of more than Rs 3 lakh. Govt has accepted this proposal.
16. Income Tax Act to be amended. No transaction above Rs 3 lakh to be permitted in cash.
17. Limit of cash donation by charitable trust reduced to Rs 2,000 from Rs 10,000.
18. Net revenue loss in direct tax could be Rs. 20,000 crore.
19. India’s tax to GDP ratio is not favourable.
20. Out of 13.14 lakh registered companies, only 5.97 lakh companies have filed returns for 2016-17.
Personal income tax
1. Existing rate of tax for individuals between Rs. 2.5- Rs 5 lakh reduced to 5% from 10%
2. All other categories of tax payers in subsequent brackets will get benefit of Rs 12,500.
3. Simple one page return for people with annual income of Rs. 5 lakh other than business income.
4. People filing I-T returns for the first time will not come under govt. scrutiny5.
5. 10% surcharge on individual income above Rs. 50 lakh and up to Rs 1 crore to make up for Rs 15,000 crore loss due to cut in personal I-T rate. 15 surcharge on individual income above Rs. 1 crore to remain.
2. Rajasthan, Telangana bag eGov awards
This year (2017), under the State category, Rajasthan and Telangana emerged Winners of Excellence while the Award of Recognition went to Odisha and Nagaland.
3. The Ministry of Railway has proposed the Finance Ministry to create a non-lapsable safety fund named ‘Rashtriya Rail Sanraksha Kosh’ over five years with initial corpus of Rs. 20000 crore and contribute a portion to fund it in the Budget 2017.
4. SAARC programming committee meeting begins in Kathmandu
5. Ministry of Defence to Set up Rs 1500 cr Defence Unit in Madhya Pradesh
The Union Minister for Panchayati Raj and Rural Development, Narendra Singh Tomar stated that the Ministry of Defence is set to open its Defence Unit in Morena district of Madhya Pradesh.
6. E-Paathsala Launches Unique Technology-Backed Services for Educational Institutions in India
7. Income Tax Department (ITD) lead by Sushil Chandra has launched Operation Clean Money to verify the cash deposited in the banks during November 9th to December 30th 2016.
8. Textile Ministry Inaugurates Meghalaya’s First Ever Apparel and Garment Centre at Ampati
9. Lakshmi Vilas Bank Partners with Fisdom for Mission FINFIT
The private sector lender Lakshmi Vilas Bank in partnership with Bangalore based fin-tech startup firm Fisdom, has launched a mobile application Mission FINFIT to offer the customers of the bank financial planning and personal wealth management services based on Robo advisory.
10. ICRA Estimates Banks Credit Growth to Remain Subdued at 5-6% in FY17
11. UN children's agency UNICEF has launched an appeal for 3.3 billion US Dollar to help 48 million children caught up in crises worldwide amid fears of a funding cut from top donor the United States. This year's appeal represents a 18% increase from the initial request for funding in 2016.
12. Alok Verma takes charge as new CBI Director
13. Moussa Faki Mahamat appointed as new African Union AU head
14. Ireland became the world’s first country to stop investing in fossil fuels
15. A new scheme will be introduced by Govt of India to create infrastructure for exports, a move aimed at reducing transaction costs for traders. A new and restructured central scheme with a focus on export infrastructure namely Trade Infrastructure for Export Scheme (TIES) will be launched in 2017-18.
16. Govt to set up dairy development fund with corpus of Rs 8,000 cr
17. Rs. 10,000 cr allocated for PSB recapitalisation
The Union Budget has allocated Rs. 10,000 crore towards recapitalisation of public sector banks in FY2017-18
18. Govt proposes Payments Regulatory Board in RBI
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has proposed creation of a six-member Payments Regulatory Board in the RBI, headed by RBI Governor Urjit Patel as part of bringing about structural reforms in the payment eco-system
19. Air India to get Rs. 1,800 cr from govt in 2017-2018
20. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley unleashed measures to revamp the country's education system, including setting up of a National Testing Agency to conduct all entrance examinations for higher education institutions.
21. The 31st edition of Surajkund International Crafts Mela started with amid tight security.To be inaugurated by Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar, the carnival is a 15-day affair in faridabad, Haryana.
22. Rs 10,000 penalty for late filing of income tax returns
23. Sanjeev Sanyal appointed Principal Economic Adviser
24. India's Lakshya Sen has become the World No 1 Junior Badminton player. He achieved the distinction in the latest rankings of the Badminton World Federation (BWF). Fifteen-year-old is the first shuttler from Uttarakhand to attain the numero uno spot at the international level.
25. Tech giant Apple has reached an agreement with the Karnataka government to set up a manufacturing plant in Bengaluru, Karnataka. "Apple’s decision on initial manufacturing in Bengaluru has further enhanced the reputation of Bengaluru as the most preferred destination for foreign investment," the Karnataka government said. Apple is reportedly expected to start production for the Indian market in April.
26. Tata Motors launches TAMO; to unveil first sportscar on March 7
As a core element of its transformation journey 'FutuReady', Tata Motors presented on 02nd February 2017 its new Passenger Vehicle strategy and introduced its new sub-brand – TAMO
27. India is expected to clock GDP growth of 7.1 per cent in 2017—18 as the country gets sufficiently remonetised and the schemes in the Budget play a supportive role, says an HSBC report.
28. The tenth edition of Sula Fest has began on 03rd February at the Sula Vineyards in Nashik, Maharashtra. The line-up for the three-day festival, which will also feature professional wine tastings and grape stomping, includes artists Infected Mushroom and Nucleya. Tickets for Sula Fest, which is offering a camping stay facility, range from RS. 1500 to Rs. 4900.
29. India recorded highest domestic air passenger growth in 2016
Emerging as a stand-out performer, India witnessed the highest growth of 23.3 per cent in domestic air travel demand worldwide in 2016 twice that of neighbouring China, according to International Air Transport Association (IATA).
30. Survival of India-Pakistan Indus water treaty appears ‘weak’: UN report
31. The most expensive silk saree was made by Chennai Silks and was sold for around Rs.40 lakh in January 2008, according to Guinness World Records. The saree featured reproductions of 11 paintings by Indian artist Raja Ravi Varma and took about 4,760 man-hours to produce. The saree, studded with gold, diamond, emerald, and other precious stones, weighed around 8 kilograms.
32. The Sports Ministry budget got a substantial hike of Rs 350 crore in the union budget for 2017-18, presented by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in the Parliament. Jaitley allocated a total of Rs 1943 crore, compared to Rs 1592 crore earmarked last year.
33. 04th February: The World Cancer Day 2017
A truly global event taking place every year on 4 February, World Cancer Day unites the world’s population in the fight against cancer. Taking place under the tagline ‘We can. I can.’, World Cancer Day 2016-2018 will explore how everyone – as a collective or as individuals – can do their part to reduce the global burden of cancer.
34. The National Rail Museum in New Delhi celebrated its 40th anniversary on 01st February 2017. The museum, which houses a large collection of life-size rail exhibits, allows visitors to take a tour on a toy train. Its attractions include the saloons of the Maharajas of Indore and Mysore and Fairy Queen, the oldest working steam locomotive still in operation.
35. Former CBI chief Joginder Singh passes away
36. Leading stock exchange National Stock Exchange (NSE) on 03rd February 2017 has selected IDFC chief Vikram Limaye as its new CEO and Managing Director, two months after the sudden exit of Chitra Ramkrishna from the top post.
37. Pankaj Advani pockets the National Snooker Championship title
38. Govt forms panel to improve Haj policy, look into subsidy issue
The Centre has formed a six-member committee to give a report on ways to improve India's Haj policy and also look into the issue of subsidy to the pilgrimage in light of 2012 Supreme Court order on gradually reducing and abolishing it by 2022.
39. ‘President Pranab’ to bloom at Delhi’s Mughal Gardens by March first week
40. Despite the change of guard at the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), the Indian board continued to oppose the International Cricket Council's (ICC) new changes to the financial model and governance structure on 04th February 2017.
41. American startup Planet Labs, that launches small satellites into orbit and sells the imagery, has announced its acquisition of Google's 'Terra Bella' satellite business. As part of the agreement, 60 Google employees will join the startup founded by ex-NASA scientists. Terra Bella, formerly Skybox, was acquired by Google in 2014 for $500 million.
42. England Test captain AlastairCook has been honoured with Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE). He was awarded the CBE at the Buckingham Palace by Prince Charles.
43. A mobile app developed by Alibaba helped Chinese authorities recover 611 missing children last year. The 'Tuanyuan' app, which means 'reunion' in Chinese, sends push notifications with photos and descriptions to users who are close to the location of a child's disappearance. The notifications are sent to users farther from the location of the disappearance till the child is found.
44. Health Ministry launched Measles Rubella vaccination campaign in the country at a function in Bengaluru.
45. The Union Minister for Sports Vijay Goel laid the foundation stone of the country's first centre of excellence for differently abled sportsmen at Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
46. Nagaland cabinet has decided to submit a memorandum to the Prime Minister to issue an ordinance to exempt the state from the provision of Part IX A of the Constitution which deals with the municipalities.
47. Sarbananda Sonowal launches CMSGUY in Guwahati
In a move to bring about paradigm shift towards holistic development of villages, Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal launched the Chief Minister Samagra Gramya Unnayan Yojana, CMSGUY in Guwahati this evening.
This scheme is a mega mission with a financial outlay of 30,000 crore rupees and it will be implemented in all the villages of the state. It will culminate in 2021-22
48. Corporation Bank has signed an agreement with Religare Health Insurance Co Ltd to market its products and services through the distribution network of the bank across India. A press release said that Corporation Bank holds around 5 per cent stake in Religare Health Insurance.
49. Telangana government has launched India's first social innovation centre The ‘Kakatiya Hub For Social Innovation’ in Nizamabad, Telangana.
50. Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das stated that state will give two per cent reservation to sports persons in government jobs and nutritious food to them.
51. Global taxi-hailing platform Uber announced it has launched a new category UberHIRE that allows customers to hire a taxi for the day, to cover several destinations, and is targetting senior citizens, business travellers and tourists.
52. The world’s longest commercial flight landed in New Zealand on 6 February 2017 with the arrival of Qatar Airways’s 14,535km (9,032-mile) Doha-Auckland service.
The long-range Boeing 777-200LR crossed 10 time zones on its marathon flight.
53. Renowned Pakistani Urdu novelist and playwright Bano Qudsia has passed away here. She was 88. She was awarded Sitara-i-Imtiaz in 2003 and Hilal-i-Imtiaz in 2010.
54.India to host FIBA Women's Asia Cup basketball tournament at Bengaluru in July, 2017. Basketball Federation of India (BFI) President KGovindaraj stated that continental flagship tournament for women will be hled from July 23 to 29, 2017.
55.Indian skipper Virat Kohli, who led his side to victory against England in all three formats of the game recently, has featured in the latest cover star of the bible of cricket - Wisden Cricketers' Almanack.
56. The Union Human Resource Development Ministry led by under Prakash Javadekar is set to constitute a National Testing Agency (NTA) which will be responsible for conducting examinations for higher and secondary education.
57. 5.8 magnitude earthquake hits Uttarakhand, tremors also felt in Delhi-NCR
58. Andhra Pradesh: First Smart Police Station inaugurated
Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu inaugurated the first model police station at Nagarampalem in the capital region Amaravati.He also inaugurated the second model police station in old Guntur town.
59. The Railway Ministry is set to develop the first ever railway line in Andaman and Nicobar Island that currently has no rail network.
60.Public sector lender Bank of Maharashtra has partnered with insurance company Cigna TTK Health to market the insurer’s products in the bank’s branches across the entire country.
61.India’s third largest private bank, Axis Bank has tied up with Earthport Plc, a cross-border payment network, to enable faster outbound cross-border payments for its customers through Earthport’s state-of-the-art global payments network.
62.The Ujjivan Small Finance Bank officially started its operation with 5 pilot branches in Bengaluru. Samit Ghosh is the MD and CEO of the Ujjivan Small Finance Bank.
63. Indian Coast Guard to have Joint Exercise with UAE Coast Guard
64.Renowned Indian-origin British sculptor Anish Kapoor was honored with the prestigious $1 million 2017 Genesis Prize by Israel for his utmost contribution for Jewish community.
65. Queen Elizabeth II, the world’s longest reigning sovereign, has became the first British monarch to reach her Sapphire Jubilee, with 65 years on the throne.
66. UN Agency Calls for International Collaboration on Wheat Rust to Curb Threat to Global Supplies
67. India to host World Billiards Championship for next four years
68. Alastair Cook resigns as England Test captain
69. Iran lifted up the ban it had imposed on United States Wrestlers, thus allowing them to participate in the Freestyle World Cup to be held in Iran in February 2017.
FEBRUARY SECOND WEEK CURRENT AFFAIRS
1. RBI's Monetory Policy February 2017 : Keeps repo rate unchanged at 6.25%
Repo Rate- 6.25%
Reverse Repo Rate- 5.75%
Marginal Standing Facility Rate- 6.75%
Bank Rate- 6.75%
2. 3-day global conference on Nuclear Terrorism to begin in New Delhi
3. SC clears plan to verify mobile phone users through Aadhaar
4. International Conference & Exhibition on Terrestrial & Satellite Broadcasting held in New Delhi
5.Minister of State in Prime Minister's Office Jitendra Singh stated that 13 thousand Divyangs have been given jobs in various central government departments.
6. No cash withdrawal limit from March 13,2017:RBI
7. Federal Bank ties up with data portal for loans against warehouse receipts
8. Bank of Baroda, IFFCO launch co-branded debit card for farmers
9. ICICI Securities, a subsidiary of ICICI Bank, has entered into a strategic partnership with Saxo Bank, an online multi-asset trading and investmentspecialist.
10. Private sector lenders HDFC Bank and Kotak Mahindra Bank are live with the Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS) that is aimed at easing utility and other repetitive bill payments for consumers.
11.The Adani Group has appointed Jennifer Purdie as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for its renewable energy business unit in Australia in a bid to drive its plans to become the largest renewable energy player in the country.
12. Housing Development and Infrastructure Ltd will soon launching its new budget homes brand in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR).
13. National Badminton Championship: Sourabh Verma clinches Men’s Singles title
14. Cabinet approves 'PM Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan' for digital education
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved 'Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan' (PMGDISHA) to make 6 crore rural households digitally literate. The outlay for this project is Rs.2,351.38 crore to usher in digital literacy in rural India by March 2019. This is in line with the announcement made by Finance Minister in the Union Budget 2016-17.
PMGDISHA is expected to be one of the largest digital literacy programmes in the world. Under the scheme, 25 lakh candidates will be trained in the FY 2016-17; 275 lakh in the FY 2017-18; and 300 lakh in the FY 2018-19. To ensure equitable geographical reach, each of the 250,000 Gram Panchayats would be expected to register an average of 200-300 candidates.
15. India & US agree to sustain momentum on defence efforts
16. US Senate votes to confirm Jeff Sessions as next US Attorney General
17. RBI to set up panel on strengthening cyber security
18. Arunachal Becomes First NE State to Implement e-Cabinet Solution
19.The 17th session of the senior officials’ meeting of the BIMSTEC in Kathmandu. The Prime Minister of Nepal, Pushpa Kamal Dahal informed during the 17th BIMSTEC-SOM meeting in Kathmandu that the 4th BIMSTEC Summit would be hosted by Nepal in 2017. Earlier in 2016, the 4th Summit was scheduled to be held in Nepal, but due to some political reasons, Kathmandu was unable to host the event last year.
20. China has surpassed Germany to become the world’s largest producer of solar energy after nearly doubling its installed photovoltaic capacity in 2016.
21. PNB Housing Finance limited & CREDAI-West Bengal Signs MoU to train construction workers in West Bengal
22. IDFC Bank, IndiaLends tie-up for loan services to 1st timers
23. IAAF Bans Russia From 2017 London World Athletics Championships
Russia will miss August's World Athletics Championships in London after their doping ban was extended, the world governing body president Sebastien Coe said.
24. Freedom fighter Racharla Samrajyam Dies at 98
25. Col Nizamuddin who drove around Netaji has passed away
26. The government has sold two per cent stake in ITC to Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) and earned Rs 6,690 crore (around $1 billion) as part of its divestment plan for 2016-17. The stake, held under the so-called Specified Undertaking of the Unit Trust of India (SUUTI), was sold at Rs 275.85 per share through block deals. According to stock exchange data, the stake was picked up by LIC, LIC (Scheme 5) and LIC Allocation Contra Fund.
27. The Government has appointed three part-time Non-Official Directors on the all-powerful Central Board of the Reserve Bank of India for a four-year term. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has appointed Ashok Gulati, Manish Sabharwal and Rajiv Kumar as part-time Non-Official Directors on the Central Board.
28. Gujarat has become the first state in the country for establishing the cashless system in its public distribution system (PDS) of food grains. The beneficiaries who are eligible for subsidised food grains under the National Food Security Act (NFSA) will now need to carry only Aadhaar cards for getting their food grains in Gujarat.
29. Govt to open 56 Post Office Passport Seva Kendra facilities
30. Hemant Bhargava has appointed as Managing Director of state-owned Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) of India. He is at present LIC's zonal manager, Delhi.
31. BoB to finance small units in diamond sector at concessional rates
32. Official mascot of FIFA U-17 World Cup 'Kheleao' unveiled
With just 238 days remaining for the start of FIFA Under-17 World Cup India 2017, the official mascot of the tournament 'Kheleao' was unveiled at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi on 10th February 2017. A clouded leopard called Kheleao was introduced to hundreds of football fans in a ceremony attended by Sports Minister Vijay Goel and All India Football Federation President Praful Patel.
33. Virat Kohli recorded his sixth Test 150, against Bangladesh at Hyderabad on 10th February 2017, to set the record for most 150-plus scores by an Indian captain in Tests. Kohli went past Sunil Gavaskar and Mohammad Azharuddin, who both have five 150-plus Test scores each as captain. Notably, all of Kohli's last five Test centuries have been of 150+ runs.
34. Govt clears single exam for engineering and architecture across India from 2018
35. By June, 2017 govt aims to link 5.58 lakh ration shops with Aadhaar
36. The Union Minister of Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs, Shri Ananthkumar inaugurated the Orientation Programme for the district heads of National Yuva Cooperative Society (NYCS) in New Delhi to launch the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras (PMBJKs) in the country.
37. Andhra Pradesh Government constitutes 33 member committee for Sagarmala Project
38. Piyush Goyal Launches TAMRA Portal and Mobile Application for Transparency in Statutory Clearances for Mining Operations
39. World’s first Braille Atlas for visually impaired persons Launched by NATMO in New Delhi
40. GMR Hyderabad International Airport Ltd, which operates Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, has won the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation (CAPA) Chairman’s Order of Merit for its focus on environmental sustainability and becoming the first airport in Asia Pacific to become carbon neutral.
41. Senior Finance Ministry official Ajay Tyagi has appointed as chairman of Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI). He will succeed U K Sinha, whose extended tenure ends on 01st March 2017.
42. 2017 BRICS association of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa to be held in Xiamen, China in September 2017.
The summit will be held under the theme “BRICS: Stronger Partnership for a Brighter Future,” state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
43. Folk singer from Punjab Satinder Sartaaj has been selected for the awareness project against human trafficking 'Blue Heart Campaign' by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).
44. Nokia to acquire Finnish telecom software company Comptel for $371 million
45. Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik has created a Guinness World Record by creating a 48.8 feet tall sand castle at Puri beach in Odisha.
The record-breaking sculpture was built with a message of world peace, and featured sculptures of Mahatma Gandhi, Gautama Buddha and Nelson Mandela
46. MRI pioneer and Nobel laureate Sir Peter Mansfield passes away at 83
47. The Minister of State (I/C) for Youth Affairs and Sports Shri Vijay Goyal launched the Mission XI Million, the biggest school sport outreach programme, in New Delhi in the presence of President of AIFF Shri Praful Patel.
48. The inter-ministry Hockey tournament 2016 - 17 was held at Central Secretariat Ground Vinay Marg, New Delhi. The final match played between I & B Ministry and Ministry of Health. I&B Team won the final match by three goals to Nil.
49. Neelu Rohmetra is the first woman to be appointed director of an IIM at Sirmaur
50. NPCI launches BHIM App on iOS platform
51. The US and Japanese military have successfully tested the Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) Block IIA missile defence system by intercepting a medium-range ballistic missile target in space for the first time.
The missile was launched from a ship off the west coast of Hawaii, US.
52. Grammy Awards to include first-ever transgender ‘trophy girl’ ISRO set to launch record 104 satellites on 15 February
53. Jiro Taniguchi, legend in Japan's comic art of manga, dies at 69
54. Every year 12th to 18th of February is celebrated as the National Productivity Week. This year the theme of week is 'From Waste to Profits-through Reduce, Recycle and Reuse.'
55. India beat Pakistan by 9 wickets to win T20 Blind World Cup 2017
56. Prime Minister Narendra Modi extended his greetings on the World Radio Day on 13 February 2017. Terming radio as “a wonderful way to interact, learn & communicate”, the PM stated. The theme for the 2017 edition of World Radio Day is 'Radio is You'.
57. National Women’s Parliament begins in Andhra Pradesh
The three-day National Women’s Parliament, being organised by Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly with the theme of ‘Empowering Women - Strengthening Democracy’, began in the state capital region Amaravati.
58. Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Ltd (MRPL) launched a skill development centre (Kaushal Vikas Kendra) in Mangaluru. Speaking at the alunch programme, H Kumar, Managing Director of MRPL stated that the centre will train 60 youths in areas such as ‘industrial electrician’ and ‘CNC operator-turning’
59. Second edition of International Spice Conference Begins at Thiruvanantapuram
60. Government Approves Setting Rs. 6,831 crore Electronics Development Fund
61. Sandeep Jajodia appointed Assocham president
62. Narinder Chauhan appointed as Ambassador of India to the Republic of Philippines
63. The FIFA governing body has named Argentina’s former soccer player Diego Maradona as the new Ambassador of the FIFA .The 56 year old will have major role in FIFA’s activities to promote the game across the globe and will also be be involved in relevant development projects
64. Yo-Yo Ma and his ensemble win Best World Music Grammy
65. BAFTA 2017: La La Land takes 5 trophies, Dev Patel wins for Lion
66. Eminent journalist and Laughter Persona Pandit Dharmsheel Chaturvedi Dies
67. Ravichandran Ashwin Becomes Fastest Bowler To Claim 250 Wickets
68. 11th International Aero India 2017 to begin at Yelahanka in Bengaluru
69. India’s first floating elementary school inaugurated on Manipur’s Loktak Lake
70. AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF) celebrated its annual International Condoms Day on 13 February 2017 in a unique style to raise awareness about HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
71. National Career Services (NCS) and Jeevan Praman Facility for EPFO Pensioners Launched in Hyderabad Post Office
72. The Ministry of External Affairs and Gateway House are co-hosting the Second Gateway of India Geoeconomic Dialogue from February 13-14, 2017 in Mumbai.
73. Sachin Tendulkar adopts another village for transformation
After transforming the lives of villagers in Puttamraju Kandriga in Andhra Pradesh, Indian cricket icon and Rajya Sabha MP Sachin Tendulkar is now set to adopt Donja in Osmanabad (Maharashtra) under the Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojna.
Tendulkar has sanctioned over Rs 4 crore from his MPLAD fund for development of Donja.
74. India’s first cashless township “Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers and Chemicals (GNFC) township”was inaugurated by Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani.
75. Government to launch Indradhanush 2.0 for Recapitalization of PSBs
76. INS Sarvekshak Becomes India’s First Ship to be Installed with Solar Power System
77. Reliance Defence Signs Master Ship Repair Agreement with US Navy
78. L&T and MBDA Missile Systems Forms JV to Develop Missiles in India
79. Ruchi Soya ties up with Patanjali
80. The world’s longest elevated cycle path has been opened in Xiamen, China which can handle about 2,023 cyclists with a speed limit of 15 miles per hour.
81. Frank Walter Steinmeier Elected New President of Germany
82. Maiden ITTF World Tour event in India to kick of in New Delhi
83. Dutch Women Germaine De Randamie crowned first UFC Women’s Featherweight Champion
84. Joe Root Becomes New Test Captain of England
FEBRUARY THIRD WEEK CURRENT AFFAIRS
1. PSLV-C37 carrying CARTOSAT-2 series earth observation satellite and 103 nano satellites has lifted off from Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh.
2. Haryana govt imposes curbs on liquor consumption
3. Union Science and Technology Minister Harsh Vardhan will inaugurate the International Conference on NexGen Technologies for Mining and Fuel Industries in New Delhi .
4. International Coin Fair Begins in Thiruvananthapuram
5. Government has allocated an amount of Rs 500 crore to India Post Payments Bank for the financial year 2017-18 to help it in setting up 650 branches across country by September 2017.
6. France based UNESCO organised the two-day Nature Fest at the World Heritage Site Great Himalayan National Park (GNHP) at Sairopa in Kullu district in the state of Himachal Pradesh.
7. The ‘name and shame campaign’ initiated by Catholic Syrian Bank Employees and Retirees against wilful defaulters in Kerala seems to have started paying dividends.
8. IDFC Asset Management Company launched an open-ended fixed income fund named Credit Opportunities Fund in Mumbai which is expected to raise the revenue of the company in the range of Rs 300 crore-500 crore within the NFO period itself.
9. International Finance Corporation (IFC), part of the World Bank Group, has teamed up with Finance Industry Development Council (FIDC) to conduct training programmes for Non Banking Finance Companies (NBFCs).
10. Nilesh Shivji Vikamsey was elected as the new President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) for the year 2017-18.
11. Tehmina Janjua Appointed First Women Foreign Secretary of Pakistan
12. Veteran Journalist T V Parasuram Passed Away
13. Winning Legendary Jazz Singer Al Jarreau Dies at 76
14. Australia’s Adam Voges Announces Retirement from International Cricket
15. Jehan Daruvala wins New Zealand GP, finishes fifth in Toyota series
16. Mumbai based Kush Bhagat has been awarded the Candidate Master (CM) title by the World Chess Federation body, FIDE on February 14, 2017 for his outstanding performance in Western Asian Youth Chess championship 2016 at UAE.
17. Cabinet approves merger of five subsidiary banks with SB
18. Tamil Nadu Governor appoints Edappadi K Palaniswami as chief minister
19. 2-day Global Investor Summit 'Momentum Jharkhand' begins in Ranchi
20. Kerala: A group launches helpline number for waste management
21. 5-day Indian Panaroma Film Festival organised in Port Blair
22. AP signs MoUs for 12 textile units
23. The Jammu and Kashmir government launched the e-Prison project to enumerate jail inmates in the State, where numbers of detainees keep swelling during unrest.State Minister for Information Technology Molvi Imran Raza Ansari, who inaugurated the project in Jammu stated that The information about jail inmates is currently being maintained manually.
24. West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee declared Kalimpong as 21st district of West Bengal Kalimpong as separate district of West Bengal .
25. The state government of MP decided to set up a tourism board. The decision was reached at a meeting of the tourism cabinet in Pachmarhi.The chief minister Shivraj singh chauhan will be the chairman of the board.
26. India Joins UN Network to Prevent Maternal, Newborn and Child Deaths by 2030.
27. The 2017 Cobra Gold Military Exercise kicked off at the Sattahip Royal Thai Marine Corps Base in Chonburi Province, Thailand .Cobra Gold 2017 is the 36th edition of the multinational drill and is co-organized by Cobra GoldUnited States and Thailand. It will expand regional cooperation and collaboration for disaster relief.
28. Suguna Foods has, with deployment of Tata DoCoMo data connectivity solutions managed to achieve operational efficiency across its offices in rural areas. The company, according to a release faced typical connectivity challenge as its offices are located in remote areas.
29. Japan’s SoftBank Group Corp has agreed to buy Fortress Investment Group LLC for about $3.3 billion, looking to add investment expertise as it prepares to launch the world’s largest private equity fund.
30. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) launched its first fully integrated capacity development centre, South Asia Training and Technical Assistance Center (SARTTAC) in New Delhi.The SARTTAC was inaugurated by Shaktikanta Das, Secretary of India’s Ministry of IMF's SARTTAC Finance.
31. Life insurance firm, HDFC life launched a traditional life insurance plan 'Pragati' for low income group people.The plan has been designed especially to empower low income families by making the plan available at affordable rate to every person who has the desire to secure his family.
32. Airbus has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for establishing a Centre of Excellence for aerospace skill development in Hyderabad, together with the Telangana government, National Skill Development Corporation India and AEROCAMPUS France.
33. First Ever Indian Genomics Beacon Launched in UK
34. Usain Bolt honored with ‘Sportsman of the Year ’Jamaica’s sprinter Usain Bolt won the ‘Sportsman of the Year’ award at the Laureus World Awards or the ‘Oscar of Sports’ held in Monaco
35. Indian professional hockey player Sandeep Singh has been honored with an Honorary Doctorate Degree by Desh Bhagat University, a private educational institution in Amloh, Fatehgarh Sahib District of Punjab.
36. The Left-handed opening batsman of Pakistan Nasir Jamshed on February 13 has been provisionally suspended from all forms of cricket by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for violating its anti-corruption code.
37. India Ranked 143 in the 2017 Index of Economic Freedom Index
38. Science Express Climate Action Special (SECAS II) will be flagged off today (17 February, 2017) from Safdarjung Railway station in Delhi. The train will be open for public viewing at Delhi Cantonment Railway Station tomorrow (18 February 2017) and the day after (19 February 2017). The train will later embark upon its journey across the country.
39. Axiscades, a aerospace and defence technologies company and Virtual Reality Media a Slovakian firm have signed an industrial cooperation agreement (ICA) at the Aero India 2017.
40. India Vetiver Network (INVN) has been launched at Tamil Nadu Agricultural University. INVN is a not-for-profit scientific network to promote vetiver in India.
41. PSU Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) has unveiled a new communication radio for the Indian armed forces, called STARS-V Mk III, at the Aero India 2017 show.
42. Bollywood megastar Shah Rukh Khan will soon host the Hindi version of popular international show TED Talks. Star India will air the Indian version TED Talks India Nayi Soch, a global first Hindi TV talk show created in partnership with TED, the non-profit devoted to ideas worth spreading.
43. Vikas Swarup appointed High Commisioner to Canada
44. The Himachal Pradesh Governor Acharya Devvrat inaugurated a Campaign against Drug Addiction organized by Shimla Press Club in Shimla.
45. Kerala cabinet Gives In-Principle Approval for Greenfield Airport at Sabarimala
46. Five Supreme Court judges took oath of office with the swearing in of Justice Sanjay K Kaul, Justice Mohan Shantanagoudar, Justice S A Nazeer, Justice Navin Sinha and Justice Deepak Gupta, the total strength of the Supreme Court now stands at 28, three short of its sanctioned strength of 31.
42. The Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Shri Radha Mohan Singh inaugurated the Indian Seed Congress 2017 in Kolkata.The theme of Seed Congress is “Seed of Joy”.2017 Indian Seed Congress in Kolkataiii.
43. Punjab National Bank (PNB) has a new non-executive Chairman in Sunil Mehta.The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the proposal of the Department of Financial Services (DFS) for the appointment of Mehta as non-executive Chairman of PNB.
44. Neelam Damodaran is Bank of India new ED
45. The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has launched a $110 million appeal to help two million acutely malnourished children across Sudan including hundreds of thousands living in conflict areas.
46. RBI will Reimburse Banks MDR Charges Effective January 1, 2017
The Reserve Bank will start reimbursing MDR charges to banks for payments made since January 1 through debit cards by citizens, in line with the government's move to further digital solutions.
In December 2016, the government had decided to absorb the merchant discount rate (MDR) charges in respect of debit card transactions for making payments to it. The move was aimed to encourage people to use digital payments post demonetization
47. Citi Bank launches instant chat service for customers
Mumbai based Citi Bank has launched instant chat services for customers named Citibank Online (CBOL) on February 16, 2017. With this India become the first country in Asia Pacific within the Citi network to have this kind of service
48. The Reserve Bank of India increased the gold loan limit for RRBs (Regional Rural Banks) to Rs 2 lakh from the current Rs 1 lakh to help the farmers and artisans have access to credit who are willing to pledge gold as collateral.The limit has been doubled for the loans not exceeding 12 months from the date of sanction.
49. Tata Motors Signs Strategic Technological Agreement with Microsoft
50. NASA Scientists Record January 2017 as Third Warmest January in 137 years
51. Indian-origin Shand Panesar Wins UK’s Bravery Award
52. AIIMS, New Delhi Wins First Prize for Sanitation & Hygiene under Kayakalp Awards
53. The International Basketball Federation (FIBA) has promoted Norman Isaac as the Technical Delegate (TD) of the sport’s worldwide governing body. He has become the first Indian to be ever appointed to the post.
54. Aadhaar card to be mandatory for College & University students availing benefits under Central Scholarships scheme
55. Eight Executive Directors (EDs) have been appointed in various public sector banks on the recommendations of Banks Board Bureau Initially, they have been appointments for a three-year period.
56. The implementation of the regional air-connectivity scheme, UDAN, will see the number of operational airports in the country shoot up by over 50, while the cost of travelling will come down to as low as ₹2,500 for up to an hour of air journey.
57. Sumitra Mahajan to inaugurate 2-day South Asian Speaker’s summit at Indore in Madhya Pradesh
58. Aero India 2017 begins at Yelahanka in Bengaluru
59. Madhya Pradesh 'Mil Banche’ programme was held in all the primary and middle government schools. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, his minister colleagues, public representatives and other dignitaries took classes in these schools to motivate children.
60. Government Increases the Cash Credit Limit For MSMEs To 30 %
61. Mangaluru based private sector lender Karnataka Bank Ltd launched National Pension System (NPS) at its corporate office in Mangaluru. To provide financial security at old age by giving regular income in the form of pension.
62. Bangalore based Public sector Canara Bank has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Human Resource Development (HRD) Ministry to operationalize the Higher Education Financing Agency (HEFA).
63. Mastercard to Provide Payments Processing Solution for Airtel Payment Bank
64. AirAsia signs MoU with Odisha Government for two-ways Direct Flights
65.South Indian Bank has been awarded with ISO 27001: 2013 certification for its Information Security Management System (ISMS).
66. Mangalore based public sector lender Corporation Bank was awarded the 2017 National MSME Excellence Award at a function in New Delhi
67. Melody Queen Lata Mangeshkar honoured with 'Legendary Award ' 2017
68. President Mukherjee greets on eve of Independence Day of Gambia
69. Veteran Hindi Scholar and Novelist Surendra Verma Selected for 2016 Vyas Samman
70. National Regulatory Authority of India (NRAI) has been given the maximum ratings by the World Health Organisation for vaccine regulations.
71 .Aero India copy 5 HAL signs MoU with CPWD to build helicopter facility at Tumakuru,Karnataka.
72. Odisha based National Aluminium Company Limited(NALCO) has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) in New Delhi.
73. Leading professional services firm JLL has once again been named to FORTUNE magazine’s World’s Most Admired Companies list of 2017 based on their reputation for innovation, top talent and global competitiveness.
74. Havells India to buy Lloyd Electric’s consumer business for Rs 1500 crore
75. Former MP Jambuvantrao Dhote passes away
76. The Indian Women's team won a silver after getting defeated by South Kores, at the Asian Rugby Sevens Trophy tournament at Vientiane, Laos.
77. Sandeep Kumar of Haryana won the gruelling men's 50-kilometre event of the National Race Walking Championships held in New Delhi.
78. The Indian Navy's second sailboat 'Tarini' was inducted into service at a ceremony in Goa.
79. 31st state hood day of Arunachal Pradesh and Mizoram: 20 February
80. India has sanctioned a soft loan of 340 million US dollar to Nepal for various infrastructure development programmes
81. On the occasion of the 75th Foundation Day, Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC) has come up with several digital offerings including launch of mobile wallet ‘Oriental Batuaa’.
82. The CA Institute’s Accounting Research Foundation (ARF) has signed an agreement with Indian Railways for the national rollout of accrual accounting in Railways.
83. IRB InvIT Fund, an investment trust sponsored by IRB Infrastructure Developers, has received markets regulator SEBI’s approval to raise Rs. 4,300 crore through initial public offering.
84. Fabindia has started removing the brand name ‘Khadi’ it uses to promote its cotton products after a legal notice by Khadi India that the use of the word amounted to unfair trade practice and misusing its trade name.
85. AirAsia became the first foreign airline to begin its operations from Srinagar international airport in Jammu and Kashmir.
86. Ranganathan, Mehta appointed Non-Official Director in IOB, PNB
87. Indian Movie Newton Wins top Honour at Berlin Film Festival
88. In a bid to boost its prospects in the world of artificial intelligence (AI), Apple has acquired Israel-based start-up RealFace that develops deep learning-based face authentication technology.
89. Hema Malini: Beyond the Dream Girl penned by Ram Kamal Mukherjee
90. Former Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir Passes Away
91. Virat Kohli first Indian sportsperson to ink Rs 100-cr deal with Puma
92. India to Host Next Davis Cup tie in Bangalore in April, 2017
93. Akhil and Jitender Kumar Signs Deal to Turn Professional Boxers
94. Shahid Afridi retires from international cricket
95. Bharat QR code the world's first inter-operable payment acceptance solution, was launched as part of efforts to move towards less-cash economy at an insignificant cost, according to RBI.
96. UNESCO celebrates International Mother Language Day (IMLD) on February 21, 2017 under the theme "Towards Sustainable Futures through Multilingual Education"
97. Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM), a mobile app pushed by the government to make digital payments a mass movement in India, has seen over 17 million installs (downloads), a world record, Amitabh Kant, CEO, NITI Aayog, has stated.
98. Buying jewellery over Rs 2 lakh in cash will attract 1% tax from April 1, 2017
Cash purchases of jewellery will attract 1% TCS (Tax Collected at Source) from April 1, 2017 if the amount exceeds Rs 2 lakh,as against the current threshold of Rs 5 lakh.
99. India as the World’s Largest Arms Importer in the Last Four Years
According to a report released by Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) India emerged as the world’s largest importer of major arms during 2012–16.As per the report, India accounted for 13% of the global total sales.
100. Country's largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) has rebranded its corporate website as "bank.sbi" from the earlier sbi.co.in. Bank.sbi is the highest domain protocol, known as generic top level domain (gTLD).
101. Apollo Hospitals Foundation will provide medical support to forest department employees and local communities in the areas where WWF-India operates for conservation.
102. Nagaland People’s Front (NPF) president Shurhozelie Liezeitsu will be sworn in as the state’s eleventh Chief Minister.
103. The Ahmedabad-based Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII), an acknowledged national resource institute for entrepreneurship education, research, training and institution-building, has received the prestigious International Mercury Awards (IMA) for the year 2016-17 for the best overall presentation of its 2015-2016 annual report.
104. Tata Steel's Katamati iron mine has been honoured with the the Best Green Organisation of the Year Award at the Global Green Future Leadership Awards in recognition of its environmental protection measures.
105. Britannia Industries signs non-binding MoU with Chipita
106. V Ramakrishnan appointed as TCS CFO, N Chandrasekaran named TCS Chairman too
107. Russia to begin military helicopters deliveries to India in 2018
108. US President appoints Lt. Gen. Herbert Raymond McMaster as new National Security Advisor
109. SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket Successfully Launches From NASA launch Pad
110. Noted bureaucrat V. K. Srinivasan passes away
111. Hindi novelist Ved Prakash Sharma passes away
FEBRUARY LAST WEEK CURRENT AFFAIRS
1. Union Health Secretary C.K. Mishra has launched “Saathiya Resource Kits” that will provide information on adolescent related issues such as puberty and mental health, among others.
2. Cabinet approves signing of Air Services Agreement between India and Greece
3. The RBI is not aware of the number of bank accounts in which more than Rs 2.5 lakh in the scrapped currency notes of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 were deposited between November 8 and December 30, 2016 under the Right to Information Act.
4. The first heliport in India will be inaugurated by Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju in North Delhi on (28 February 2017)
5. Government launches ‘Cyber Swachhta Kendra’ to protect citizens
6. India and China will hold their first Strategic Dialogue in Beijing. The two sides are expected to discuss all issues of mutual concern and interest including friction points.
7. The Gujarat Assembly passed Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Bill, 2017 to empower the state government to use Aadhaar number as the sole identifier for the delivery of various subsidies and benefits in an effective and targeted manner.
8. The Gujarat Assembly passed Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Bill, 2017 to empower the state government to use Aadhaar number as the sole identifier for the delivery of various subsidies and benefits in an effective and targeted manner.
9. Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu in the presence of Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju inaugurated the Composite Regional Centre at Itanagar Banquet Hall, Arunachal Pradesh.
10. Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, CCEA has approved investment proposal for generation component of Arun-3 Hydro Electric Project in Nepal by SJVN Limited.
11. Ministry of Textiles and Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment have come together to step up interventions for the economic development of an estimated 12 lakh scheduled caste artisans.
12. J & K Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has declared 2017 as ‘Year of Apple’ to promote the famed Kashmiri apples in domestic and foreign markets.
13. Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Vijaya Bank for providing concessional finance to micro and small enterprises (MSEs).
14. The Telangana Government led by K. Chandrashekar Rao signed an Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with NABARD for a loan of Rs 874 crore.
15. Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu commissioned the fourth ship of Indian Coast Guard named ‘Shaunak’, in the series of six offshore patrol vessels (OPV) in Vasco, located in South Goa.
16. Azerbaijan's President Ilham Aliyev appointed his wife Mehriban Aliyev as the First Vice President of the country.
17. Dish TV partners with ICICI Bank for digital payments
18. Justice Abhay Manohar Sapre has been appointed the chairman of Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal (CWDT)
19. For the first time in the world, Microsoft to deploy Azure Stack in Andhra Pradesh
The chief minister Chandrababu Naidu and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella singed an MoU during an event called ‘Microsoft Future Decoded’ in Mumbai.
Under the MoU, Microsoft Azure Stack for the first time in the world will be used to migrate live applications currently hosted in Hyderabad State Data Centre (SDC) to Vizag data centre.
20. An international zip line connects Spain and Portugal
21. American professional golfer Dustin Hunter Johnson has claimed No 1 Position in Official World Golf Ranking for the first time in his career.
22. The Haryana government gave away the Bhim awards to 42 sports persons of the state, spotting them for their outstanding performance at the national and international fronts between the years 2013 and 2017.
23. India's GDP projected to slow to 6.6% due to demonetization Strains: IMF
24. The government has allowed women working in industries to take six months maternity leave pre-empting parliamentary approval on the maternity benefit amendment bill that is pending in the Lok Sabha.
25. National Biodiversity Congress 2017 held in Kerala
26. The country's largest telecom services provider, Bharti Airtel (Airtel) has officially announced that it will acquire Telenor India. Although both the companies did not disclose the deal size, internal sources from the companies said it ranges between Rs. 6,500 crore and Rs. 7,000 crore.
27. Karnataka Bank has bagged two ‘IBA-Banking Technology’ awards. The bank was the winner in ‘Best financial inclusion initiatives (small bank)’ category, and was runner-up in ‘Best use of digital and channels technology (small bank)’ category.
28. Hyderabad based non-banking finance company Microfinance institution Bharat Financial Inclusion Ltd launched an instant loan approval at a village near Bassi in Jaipur district, Rajasthan
29. The National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with the IoT Acceleration Consortium (ITAC) Japan.
30. AAI, IATA launch e-billing solution SKYREV360 for airport operators
31. N Chandrasekaran elected chairman of Indian Hotels
32. Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu unveiled Antyodaya Express for common man Equipped with cushioned seats, aluminium composite panels, and LED lights, the Antyodaya Express, a new fully unreserved train for the common man with specially designed colourful coaches.
33. 7 new Earth-like exoplanets discovered, NASA announced
34. The WTO's trade facilitation agreement, which seeks to ease customs norms, came into effect from with its two-thirds members ratifying the pact. The TFA, which has been ratified by India, will give a boost to the global trade, which has been impacted due to slowdown in the world economy.
35. Russia’s UN envoy Vitaly Churkin dead at 64
36. German Sportswear giant Adidas announced its ties up with FIFA U-17 World Cup Local Organizing Committee for the Mission XI Million programme.
37. The National Rifle Association of India(NRAI) announced that India will be hosting the Combined World Cup for shooting in 2019 during the meeting held in New Delhi.
38. The ninth BRICS Summit will be held in China's Xiamen city from September 3 to 5, 2017. The theme of this year's event is 'BRICS: Stronger Partnership for a Brighter Future'.
39. India signed an agreement with Japan on enhancing railway safety in the Indian Railways with focus on railway track and rolling stock safety.
40. The Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) celebrated 74th Central Excise Day on 24th February in New Delhi.
41. Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi has announced the setting up of a compensation fund under Nirbhaya scheme to provide financial help to children who are victims of sexual crimes.
42. Visa signed MoU with AP to make Vizag, India’s first 'less cash' city
43. Kerala to launch sex offenders registry, first in the country
44. Haryana based Oriental Bank of Commerce has signed a corporate agency agreement with Chennai based general insurance provider Cholamandalam General Insurance Company for distribution of insurance products.
45. Tata Power Renewable Energy Ltd has synchronised its 15 MW solar plant at Bellampally in Telangana, thereby taking the Tata Power's total installed operating capacity past 10,500 MW mark.
46. China overtakes US, France as Germany’s biggest trading partner, for first time
47. Nobel-Winning Economist Kenneth J. Arrow Dies At 95
48. Ravichandran Ashwin breaks Kapil Dev's record of most wickets in home season .
49. India and ADB have signed USD 375 million pact for loans and grants to develop 800 km Visakhapatnam—Chennai Industrial Corridor, which is the first phase of a planned 2,500-km East Coast Economic Corridor.
50. India clears Rs 17,000-crore mega missile deal with Israel
A Rs 17,000 crore deal has been cleared by the government for jointly developing with Israel a medium-range surface-to-air missile (MR-SAM) for the Indian army.
51. India and Bangladesh signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the sustainable development of Sylhet city with financial aid from India. Indian High Commissioner Harsh Vardhan Shringla and Sylhet City Corporation CEO Enamul Habib signed the tripartite agreement in Sylhet, a metropolitan city in northeastern Bangladesh.
52. Rajasthan has become the second largest crude oil producer in the country after the offshore field Bombay High.
53. The Minister of State (Independent Charge) for AYUSH, Shripad Yesso Naik inaugurated the World Integrated Medicine Forum on Regulation of Homeopathic Medicinal Products- National and Global strategies in New Delhi.
54. Dena Bank has introduced Radio Frequency Identification Card (RFID) enabled banking cards whereby a branch manager can identify a valued client entering a branch with the card.
55. Government ropes in Shilpa Shetty as Swachh Bharat brand ambassador
The government has roped in actress Shilpa Shetty as a brand ambassador for the Indian government's cleanliness initiative Swachh Bharat Mission.
She will feature in TV and radio campaigns aimed at discouraging people from littering on roads.
56. Former CM T R Zeliang appointed Finance Advisor to Nagaland government
57. Motherson Sumi’s Vivek Sehgal bags EY’s ‘Entrepreneur of the Year’ award
58. In International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF), Indian shooter Pooja Ghatkar secured India’s first medal in New Delhi. She finished third in the 10 meter Air Rifle event. Ghatkar clinched bronze with a score of 228.8 in the final round.
59. The 89th Academy Awards ceremony (commonly referred as Oscar Awards) , presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) to honor the best films of 2016, in 24 categories, held at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles, California.
Best Picture - 'Moonlight' by Adele Romanski, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner
Best Actress in a Leading Role - Emma Stone for 'La La Land'
Best Actor in a Leading Role - Casey Affleck for 'Manchester By The Sea'
Best Director - Damien Chazelle for 'La La Land
60. Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje inaugurated a medical project Rajasthan Heart Attack Treatment programme (RAHAT) at the Eternal Heart Care Center Hospital in Jaipur.
61. Mumbai richest Indian city with total wealth of $820 bn
According to the New World Wealth report Mumbai, the financial capital of India has been named as the Richest Indian city with a total wealth of $ 820 billion.
62. Kolkata-based United Bank of India (UBI) has launched a railway ticket booking facility by having a direct tie-up with IRCTC.
63. India’s largest software services firm Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has been rated as one of the top three 'most-valuable brands' in the Information Technology (IT) service sector by Brand Finance, the leading global brand valuation firm. As IBM and Accenture are on the top two positions
64. World's first robot table tennis tutor sets Guinness record
The world's first robot table tennis tutor FORPHEUS in Japan has set a new Guinness World Record for its uncanny ability of being able to play the game better than most humans.
FORPHEUS (Future Omron Robotics Technology for Exploring Possibility of Harmonised Automation with Sinic Theoretics) has officially been given the Guinness title for its unique technological intelligence and educational capabilities.
65. Star Indian badminton player Saina Nehwal was appointed as a member of the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) Athletes' Commission (AC) in 2016, will represent the panel in the Badminton World Federation (BWF).
66. FIH (International Hockey Federation) Hockey Stars Awards were conferred in Chandigarh. This was first time in the history of Hockey that the ceremony was held to honor best players, rising stars, goalkeepers, umpires and coaches.
67. National Science Day: 28 February
68. Suresh Prabhu flags off first Antyodaya Express between Ernakulam, Howrah
69. Haryana Launches Online Sex Ratio Monitoring System For Panipat
70. SIDBI expert panel sanctions Rs 1,112 cr to funds for startups
71. Apollo Munich and Dena Bank Enters Into Bancassurance Tie-Up
72. Paytm arm unveils online shopping portal Paytm Mall
73. Tata Communications partners with HPE for roll-out of LoRa network
74. Kabir Bedi appointed honourary brand ambassador of Sightsavers
75. ZTE launches world’s first 5G IT baseband unit (BBU) in partnership with Intel
76. Former Union Minister P Shiv Shankar Passes Away
77. Kohli named captain of the year at ESPNcricinfo Awards
2017 JANUARY FIRST WEEK CURRENT AFFAIRS
1. PM announces number of measures for welfare of farmers, small traders, women & senior citizens
GK QUESTIONS ASKED IN BANK OF MAHARAHTRA MANIPALCLERK ON 26-10-2016 ( AFTERNOON SHIFT )
1. Engineers Day - September 15
2. Indian Overseas Ban Headquarters - Chennai
3. Among the options which is Manipal ,Karnataka Headquartered Bank - Syndicate Bank
4. Myanmar Capital - Naypi Daw
5. Current Bank rate - 6.75%
6. Current Repo rate - 6.25%
7. Jammu & Kashmir Bank CEO - Parvez Ahamad
8. Tata Motors CEO - Guenter Butschek
9. Deputy General manager of IMF - David Lipton
10. SBI launches recently branch in Myanmar in - Yangon
11. Russia Joint venture Kudankulam Plant located in - Tamilnadu
12. World Bank & AIIB approved loan of 6325 cr for Which city metro project - Pune
13. India gives loan of $318 mn loan to upgrade its Railways rolling stack - Srilanka
14. Qatar based bank using Centrum expertise to scale up in India & GCC countries - Doha Bank
15. Which Country won more medals in Rio Olympics - USA
16. Deepa Malik who won the silver medal in Rio Paralympices related to - Shotput
17. RBI issued guidelines to publish Photographs of who doesnt pay loan - Wilful Defaulters
18. RBL acquires 10% Stake in - Utkarsh Finance Services
19. Jio MoneyWallet launched by which company - Reliance
20. Among the options who is a not member of Monetary policy committee - SS Mundra
21. Prepaid Instrument Maximum limit - 1 Lakh
22. In Micro enterprise limit doesnot exceed in Plant& Machinery - 25 Lakhs
23. E-Nivaran for Taxpayer Greiviances launched by - CBDT
24.GST implementatin - 01-04-2017
25.BSS Microfinanace Acqured by - Kotak Mahindra Bank
26. RBI Sets deadline to report on Cyber Attacks - 31-03-2017
27.World Longest bullet train network - China
28.Yahoo Inc acquires by - Verizon
29.Union HRD Minister setups HEFA and selected which bank as a promoter - Canara bank
30.Limit in Priority Sector Adjust Net Bank credit - 40%
31.IRCTC tiesup with which bank to promote Rail tickets - SBI
32. Small Finance Bank Limit in Iinter Borrowings - No Limit
33. Under Deen dayal Antyodaya Yojana , Interest Subvention scheme what is prompt Subvention for SHG if Pay loan in time - 3%
34.UN revised World Population Prospects by 2030 - 8.5 bn
35.Nasscom tiesup with social network website to promote Startups - Facebook
36 Bombay Highcourt Chief Justice - Manjula Chellur
37. Nobel peace prize 2016 - Juan Manuel santos
38. Which bank launched portal for Intra branch trasfers for employees - SBI
39.ISRO launches GSAT-18 from - Korou
40. ET Awards for corporate excellence company - Kotak Mahindra Bank
41. Bankruptcy & Insovency 2016 Board headed by - MS Sahoo
42.UCO Bank to raise 270 crore shares in which insurance company - LIC
43.First state to approve sewage water -Rajasthan
44. Forbes Three Most Powerfull Indian Women among the option who is in list - Chanda Kochar
45.BCCI CEO - Rahul Johri
46.About Bad Bank -